With all the mental health, wellness, blogs, and apps available today, here are a few resources worth knowing about, exploring or purchasing.
Mental Health, Mindfulness and Well-being
Stress, Anxiety and Depression impact our emotional well-being. Here are my favorite mindfulness, mental and physical health resources.
- Oak App - Daily Meditation
- Calm App - Download
- Othership Breathwork App - Download
- Free App: UCLA Mindful App
- Free App: Insight Timer
- Free App: Liberate - Meditation For Women of Color
- Black Emotional and Mental Health Collective
- Black Meditation and Mindfulness Teachers
- Inward - Women's Meditation Community
- Monita Music - High Vibe, Spiritual Trap/Rap/Afro Music on Spotify
- Black Girls Breathing
- We Are Here To Take Up Space
- Inclusive Therapists - Sliding Scale for BIPOC and LGBTQ+
- Open Path Collective - Online Pyschotherapy
- Therapy For Black Girls
- The Good Trade - Self-Care and Intentional Living for Women of Color
- Ayana - Matching marginalized communities with therapists
Podcasts By Women of Color
- Podcast: Black Girls in OM
- Podcast: Cultivating HER Space
- Podcast: Balanced Black Girl
- Podcast: Radically Loved | Rosie Acosta
- Podcast: Black Girl Mystic
- Podcast: Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- Podcast: Devi Brown
- Podcast: Not So CEO
- Podcast: The Breathing Room
Healthcare costs are astronomical these days. Whether you have it or not, more cost effective options are starting to become available. Here are a few resources to explore.
- Genneve - Online medical support for women regarding menopause.
- Paloma Health - Online medical support for women suffering from hypothyroidism.
- Parsley Health -
- HerScan - Breast health in Florida, Georgia, Texas, North Carolina, California, Tennessee, and Rhode Island
- Oscar Health Insurance
- Women's Focused Healthcare: Alpha
My most beloved cookbooks. I own physical copies of them all. While they’re available on kindle, you can also find them online (used!) for petty low cost. Buy new copies only if that’s your thing.
- Salt, Acid, Fat, Heat - Samin Nosrat
- The Herbalist’s Kitchen - Kami McBride
- The Saffron Tales - Yasmin Khan
- Zaitoun: Recipes from the Palestinian Kitchen - Yasmin Khan
- Thug Kitchen: Eat Like You Give a F*ck - Thug Kitchen, LLC
- Dish Up The Dirt - Andrea Bemis
- My New Roots - Sarah Britton
- Sababa: Fresh, Sunny Flavors From My Israeli Kitchen - Adeena Sussman
Food & Nutrition Books Worth Reading
My most favorite books on nutrition and health. I own physical copies of them all. While they’re available on kindle, you can also find them online (used!) for petty low cost. Buy new copies only if that’s your thing.
- The Intuitive Eating Workbook - Evelyn Tribole, RND & Elyse Resch, RDN
- Rethinking Thin - Gina Kolata
- Nice Girls Finish Fat - Karen R. Koenig, LCSW, M.Ed.
- Health Food Junkies - Steven Bratman, M.D.
- Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food - Catherine Shanahan, M.D.
- Anti-Diet: Reclaim Your Time, Money, Well-Being, and Happiness Through Intuitive Eating - Christy Harrison, MPH, RD
- The F*ck It Diet: Eating Should Be Easy - Caroline Dooner
- Health At Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight – Linda Bacon
- The Body Is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love - Sonya Renee Taylor
- Women Don't Owe Your Pretty - Florence Given
If you have other resources, please drop them in the comments!